About the role
A very exciting role, pivotal in leading the creation of actionable insight on the wealth of large scale data sets we are privileged to hold for the health and care system. Using the very latest visualisation technology, the Head of Information Analysis (Business Intelligence and Visual Analytics) will be responsible for driving the availability of decision-ready information at scale from a wealth of NHS data and the delivery of associated products. The role is based in either Leeds or London with the following key responsibilities:
- Horizon scanning for emerging Business Intelligence products and techniques and leading their adoption and deployment at scale.
- Developing and implementing a strategic approach for production of detailed user-ready client dashboards with self-serve capabilities for internal and external clients.
- Leading a portfolio of delivery projects in an Agile manner, from capturing requirements, data discovery, product development and evaluation, to implementation and ensuring benefits are fully realised.
- Ensure coherence and great user journeys through the range of statistics and interactive output produced by NHS Digital, acting as a source of best-practice and standards for presentation of statistics, infographics and interactive dashboards.
- Clearly and objectively communicate results, as well as their associated uncertainties and limitations, delivering your ideas to very senior internal and external stakeholders.
While you will be joining an established organisation, there is significant scope to have a major impact and develop solutions that have far reaching consequences.
The ideal candidate will have held a senior role within Business Intelligence or similar with significant delivery experience. The key skills we are looking for include:
- Educated to Master’s level in relevant subject or equivalent level of experience of working at very senior level in a specialist area.
- Analytical experience with the ability to interpret data analysis and customer requirements, as well the ability to deliver a range of complex analyses, which answer challenging real-world problems
- Experience in leading, building and growing services which have developed, and deployed Business Intelligence and Visual Analytics
- Highly skilled in leading teams to utilise Business Intelligence and visualisation tools which empower customers with dynamic, insightful and intuitive visual analytics that enable them to solve real world problems.
- Ability to identify the benefits of different types of Business Intelligence and Visual Analytic tools, bringing them to fruition in the delivery of data products and services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in agile way.
While experience in health sciences is desirable, it is not essential, and we encourage applications from individuals that have worked in other industries that are data rich and insight led.
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
NHS Digital is at a transformation stage in its development and requires insight professionals to harness the wealth of data that is available to it. The health and care system has one of the richest data stores across any industry and have already invested heavily in the infrastructure required to process, access and surface that data. What we now require are individuals that can harness the power of that data and convert it into insights and information that can make a real difference to the lives of people every day.
In the next few years the health industry will experience significant change, with the advent of wearables, continuous monitoring, connected devices, sensors as well as AI. This is an opportunity to be part of that evolution.
We are proud of what we have achieved and our amazing people, many of whom have deservedly received public recognition in forums ranging from Women in IT awards to our own Queen’s Honours List.
To view further information please see the role profile. If you are short listed, you will be invited to complete an online Leadership Assessment as part of our recruitment process.
Interviews are likely to take place week commencing 29th April 2019, a presentation will be required as part of our interview process.
If you would like to discuss this role, please contact Chris Roebuck, Chief Statistician, via email -Chris.Roebuck@nhs.net.
NHS Digital are also recruiting for a Head of Information Analysis (Data Science) please click here to view the advert.
NHS Digital values and respects the diversity of its employees and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities.
Roles at NHS Digital are subject to a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service following an acceptance of an offer of employment. Basic checks provide details of convictions and conditional cautions that are considered to be unspent under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
If you have previously applied for the same or similar role with NHS Digital and have been unsuccessful, we will not accept any further applications for a minimum of 6 months. We would encourage you to obtain feedback from your initial application to support you with your future career.