About the role:
This role requires working with NHS Digital Programmes and Suppliers to integrate their systems with national services, and with one another.
The postholder will own the development and use (principally in Java) of a key integrated test automation system within the Solution Assurance Messaging and Integration Team. They will understand requirements and functional specifications for Programme areas and develop test harness configurations to test and validate suppliers/stakeholders messaging against published specifications. Effective communication is essential with the Accreditation Team, NHS Digital Programmes and suppliers, answering questions and providing consultancy for test support and accreditation.
The role holder will participate in the development and support of other Solution Assurance Messaging and Integration Team platforms. Experience is necessary with Unix based operating systems, Spine HL7v3 messaging, FHIR, Message validation, NHS Infrastructure, Java, XML/json, XPATH, XSLT. Experience with HAPI FHIR framework, Windows .NET, Containerisation & Integration solutions (e.g. Docker, Kubernites, Jenkins) would be advantageous.
As part of the role you will be responsible for
- Software development, architecture and design with experience of appropriate and representative languages, frameworks, platforms and tools; including knowledge of software delivery methodologies, information processing & standards, security, infrastructure and information governance.
- Engineering a simple system or comparable system components. Contribute to best use patterns for working with appropriately selected technologies to meet business problems.
- Leading a workstream within a software development team, or similar levels of individual responsibility, leading on complex technical problems and collaborating with external suppliers.
- Adopt and adapt appropriate methods, tools and techniques to ensure they are applied effectively for successful deliveries.
- Comparing solution approaches across capabilities with associated expressions of cost, risk, timescales.
- Continuous improvement of existing technologies to provide the best customer outcomes.
We want you to be set for success, these are some of the key skills and experience that you'll bring to the role:
- Requisite knowledge of the legacy software.
- Post graduate degree/ diploma or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of software architecture, design and development with exposure to a selection of platforms, languages, methodologies, patterns and implementations.
- Working understanding of, and exposure to the "DevOps" approach across the end-to-end product lifecycle.
- Good understanding of software development and ability to identify potential issues within the code that is being worked on with scope of wider system design.
What we offer
In addition to planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Flexible working including part-time hours, job shares, flexible hours and part-remote set ups
- 27 days annual leave increasing to 33 days with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a contribution from us equal to 20.6% of your earnings)
- NHS Discounts including shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones, and insurance
- Employee benefit schemes which include our Season Ticket Loan and Car Lease schemes
For more information, visit Working at NHS Digital.
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
Find out about the amazing work we do here.
Please note that the application process involves completion of a technical test. Candidates who successfully complete this test will be invited to interview. Applicants selected for test and interview will be contacted by email and interviews will take place remotely via MS Teams.
To view further information please see the attached role profile and to apply for the role click ‘Apply for job’ below.
We are unable to accept speculative CVs, all applications must be made through NHS Digital’s career site.
Within your application we are looking for you to demonstrate you have the skills and experience outlined in the role profile.
When uploading your CV, please remove any personal details to allow for your application to be reviewed anonymously.
If you have previously interviewed for this role (or a similar one) with NHS Digital and been unsuccessful, we encourage you to obtain feedback from your initial application to support your future career as we will not accept any further applications for a period of six months.