About the role
We provide expertise to enable national programmes and health and social care organisations to develop effective systems, information and technology. Our work contributes to safer treatment and better care within health and social care services in England. This role will be part of Solution Assurance, contributing to functional test and assurance activities across NHS Digital portfolios. The post holder will also provide test and assurance consultancy support, working as an SME (Subject Matter Expert) with a range of delivery partners and suppliers.
As a Lead Technical Assurance Specialist you will be responsible for:
- Specialist knowledge of functional and integration testing including software and application interoperability in a large scale, multiple component delivery context;
- Knowledge and understanding of the concepts of technical risk management including functional and integration impacts.
- Knowledge of key concepts of agile development – the agile lifecycle, the mechanics of scrums and sprints, the principles of continuous integration.
- Knowledge of quality maturity models such as TMMI and quality standards such as the ISO9000 series to improve test capabilities.
- Knowledge of heath care informatics systems and the technology used, such as:
- messaging and data exchange essentials such as HL7, HTTP, SOAP, XML, FHIR and JSON
- functionality on secure Cloud services and integrated infrastructure
- operating systems such as UNIX / Ubuntu LINUX / Windows
- APIs, data transfer technologies and other technologies to enable integration and interoperability - database technologies such as Postgres, Riak and Oracle
- An understanding of manual and automated testing and their advantages to the functional and integration testing of current or future technologies (such as machine learning and AI).
- Ability to use structured test data and enable test environment provision to improve and aid functional and integration testing.
Some of the key skills and experience you'll bring:
- Proven ability to apply structured test and assurance techniques and processes for complex IT systems and solutions.
- Proven ability to assure a supplier's (internal or external) testing using a quality maturity model, to ensure that testing is thorough, to an appropriate level and standard and meets contractual requirements.
- Proven ability to understand and clearly articulate a complex functional and integration architecture and to assess and mitigate its risks.
- Proven ability to maintain in depth knowledge of test tools and testing methodologies, providing detailed advice regarding their application and execution
- Educated to Masters Degree level, or equivalent higher education qualification or equivalent experience.
- ISEB/ISTQB Software Testing Foundation Certificate (Certified or Agile Tester) or equivalent recognised qualification and equivalent level of experience
For more information about what is expected for this role, please refer to the role profile.
What we offer
In addition to planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Flexible working including part-time hours, job shares, flexible hours and part-remote set ups
- 27 days annual leave increasing to 33 with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a contribution from us equal to 20.6% of your earnings)
- NHS Discounts including shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones, and insurance
- Employee benefit schemes which include our Season Ticket Loan and Car Lease schemes
For more information, visit Working at NHS Digital.
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
Find out about the amazing work we do here.
Please note that the application process involves completion of a technical test. Candidates who successfully complete this test will be invited to interview which is competency based and a question & answer format. Applicants who are selected for the technical test and interview will be contacted by email.
To view further information please see the attached role profile and to apply for the role click ‘Apply for job’ below.
We are unable to accept speculative CVs, all applications must be made through NHS Digital’s career site.
Within your application we are looking for you to demonstrate you have the skills and experience outlined in the role profile.
When uploading your CV, please remove any personal details to allow for your application to be reviewed anonymously.