Help us shape the future of health outcomes for people in England and equip health and care workers with user-centred, products and services, as associate director of product and design for NHS Digital
About the role
Reporting to the Executive Director of Product Development, the Associate Director of Product and Design will establish and drive product management and design activities for major new services, as well as overseeing the growth of product management and design capabilities across the Product Development Directorate as a whole.
This exciting new role brings together strategic leadership of both product and design capabilities within Product Development. The postholder will be responsible for establishing high maturity and repeatable frameworks for product strategy definition, as well as overseeing product management and user-centred design activities within domain teams. You will be matrix managing around 30 product managers and 40+ user-centred design professionals working in agile, multidisciplinary teams.
This role spans business-to-business and business-to-consumer products and services, but will apply outcome-led and user-centric design practices throughout. Products in scope range for large-scale citizen facing services, such as the NHS App and the NHS website, through to essential enabling services used by hundreds of thousands of clinicians and staff. As part of the NHS’s coronavirus response, our teams have created new services at scale and breathtaking speed to support covid testing and vaccinations. They are also playing a key role in the transformation of major NHS services, including cancer screening, and urgent & emergency care. You can read more about the great work we do, and exciting programmes of work here: https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/our-organisation/our-organisation-structure/product-development
The successful postholder will have worked in a complex, multi-service product environment. They will have the right blend of strategic acumen, technology awareness, and a commitment to putting users first. We are looking for someone with a strong product management background, with experience of a heavily user-centred environment. They will have excellent leadership skills, with the ability to inspire, coach and provide feedback. Like all successful product leaders, they will combine big picture thinking and strategic leadership with the ability to prioritise and ‘get things done’.
About the directorate
We are a great team to work with. The Product Development directorate designs and delivers pioneering new applications and services commissioned by NHS England, NHS Test and Trace, NHS Improvement, Public Health England and other arm’s-length bodies to help every one of our customers from citizens, patients and clinicians across primary, secondary and social care.
Our vision is to improve health outcomes for people in England and equip health and care workers with user-centred, secure, open, interoperable and inclusive products and services.
Our 3 Key Purposes:
- We are a team of passionate digital professionals who design, build and deliver new products and services that result in better care and improved health outcomes for people in England
- We work hand-in-hand with health tech innovators to foster digital knowledge across the health and care system. We design and build products to meet user needs
- Our interoperable, valuable, usable evidence-based products and services empower patients to be in control of their own care and enable health and social care professionals to deliver world-class care
We aspire to deliver truly exceptional services in truly exceptional ways. The Associate Director of Product and Design will play a key role in realising this vision.
As the Associate Director of Product and Design you will:
- Participate in the Product Development Senior Leadership team which oversees the work of more than 600 people working on high-profile national digital services
- Build up product and user-centred design maturity across Product Development, with a particular focus on establishing and supporting highly capable product and design leadership aligned to sub-directorates and service domains
- Act as a strong advocate for the Product Development Strategy, nurture a user-centred product mindset and agile engineering culture across Product Development and NHS Digital more broadly
- Take accountability for discovery activities for new services and major projects, and ensure smooth progress through service assessments and spend control processes
- Work with heads of product, user research and design to ensure there are clear strategies and mature product roadmaps across domains
- Support and assure product management and user-centred design working practices throughout the directorate to ensure clarity of outcomes, viability of proposed solutions, and quality of product delivered
- Provide leadership for the product & delivery management and user-centred design communities of practice within NHS Digital and forge links with digital, data, and technology professions across health and care and government
Some of the key skills and experience you'll bring to the role:
- Educated to master’s level or equivalent relevant working experience or qualifications. Professional qualifications, e.g. UXPA, or Certified Scrum Professional Product Owner, or equivalent level of experience and expertise in the application of a range of user-centred design and product management methodologies
- Demonstrable knowledge and passion for user-centred design practices for both public facing and internal services and applications
- Advanced understanding of agile product management practices and methods
- Proven track record in a senior leadership/management role. Leading teams and staff in a product management or user-centred design role
- A track record of achieving meaningful outcomes in complex organisations
- Leading and influencing senior stakeholders. Strong influencing skills, with the ability to work with others across organisations without line managing them
- Coaching teams in user-centred, agile and iterative practices, helping team members to determine the right approaches to try
- Having the vision and strategy to turn user insight from multiple (often conflicting) sources into product or service improvements
- Sharing future vision and strategy making it tangible and real and promoting it to others internally and externally
- Creating buy-in for a product, service or experience vision among both internal and external stakeholders
This is a Band 9 role, with salary range £91,004 - £104,927, depending on experience, and a London weighting of £6,890 is also applicable if London based.
What we offer
We know that the key to our success is the people we work with, which is why we offer a fabulous benefits package. In addition to planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Flexible working including part-time hours, job shares, flexible hours and part-remote set ups
- 27 days annual leave increasing to 33 with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a contribution from us equal to 20.6% of your earnings)
- NHS Discounts including shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones, and insurance
- Employee benefit schemes which include our Season Ticket Loan and Car Lease schemes
For more information, visit Working at NHS Digital.
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
Find out about the amazing work we do here.
We have a mandate to deliver a very broad and complex set of new technical applications, platforms, services and capabilities to ensure the sustainability and improve the quality of health and care in England.
We operate within a complex health and social care ecosystem and our success relies on understanding and successfully collaborating with a wide variety of stakeholder groups, including our end users, customers, sponsors, suppliers, national partners, professional groups, industry bodies and regulatory organisations.
Interviews will take place remotely. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by email.
To view further information please see the attached role profile and to apply for the role click ‘Apply for job’ below.
We are unable to accept speculative CVs, all applications must be made through NHS Digital’s career site.
Within your application we are looking for you to demonstrate you have the skills and experience outlined in the role profile.
When uploading your CV, please remove any personal details to allow for your application to be reviewed anonymously.