About the role
NHS Digital are currently looking for Software Developers who love solving complex problems to work in our critical business area, the Platforms Directorate. In joining our Platforms Directorate, you will be at the heart of designing the core infrastructure that connects the thousands of digital service providers across the UK’s health and care system.
As a Developer, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to support our vision to deliver a modern platform approach to our products and services, that will result in better care and improved health outcomes from people in England.
We aim to match our Developers to the areas where they can thrive, please watch this video about one of our platforms, the NHS Spine, to show the types of services we build and run: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH7FGKnmnw8.
As part of one of our agile, delivery-focused teams you’ll:
- build and run a broad range of highly available and secure systems with large scale transactional and data volumes supporting the wider health and social care ecosystem.
- optimise the performance of connected systems, deliver new services or improve existing services, while ensuring value for money for the public sector.
- predominantly use open source technology on AWS, Azure and commodity hardware based infrastructure.
As part of the role you will be responsible for:
- working with the latest technology such as Public Cloud and the top development languages in an Agile / DevOps environment.
- collaborate with customers, delivery managers, product owners, systems engineers to deliver features with a high-level of business value.
- working on widely distributed, high volume, highly available and secure services.
We are looking for developers who:
- work well in a "you build it, you run it" culture.
- have strong development skills and can adapt to new languages / technologies.
- can call on a breadth of experience and provide in-depth analysis.
- have good teaching/mentoring skills and can guide others to good outcomes.
- collaborate well with others as part of an agile team.
There are a few key technologies we use at NHS Digital, please see a non-exhaustive list below. We don’t expect candidates to have experience in all technologies, but strong experience in one or more is desirable.
If you are interested in the role, once you have applied, we will invite you to complete a technical task to allow you to show off your skills (in a language of your choosing).
What we offer
NHS Digital values and respects the diversity of prospective candidates and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects this, with that in mind candidates requiring flexible working hours will be considered. Part time hours may be considered. We are all currently working remotely, and when we return to the office you will be able to work a blend of remote and office working.
In addition to a competitive salary with planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- 27 days annual leave entitlement increasing with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a 20.6% contribution from us toward the cost of your pension)
- Flexible working opportunities - we value and respect the diversity of our employees, and applications from prospective candidates who require flexible working arrangements are welcomed
- A range of NHS Discounts covering, for example, shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones and insurance
- Employee benefit schemes which include Season Ticket Loan and Car Lease
For more information visit our Working at NHS Digital page.
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
Find out more about the amazing work we do here.
Interviews will take place remotely. There will be a technical test, and those successful will be invited to an interview. Provisional dates: 23rd April Technical Test, Interview 30th April. Applicants selected will be contacted by email.
To view further information please see the attached role profile and to apply for the role click ‘Apply for job’ below.
We are unable to accept speculative CVs, all applications must be made through NHS Digital’s career site.
NHS Digital values and respects the diversity of prospective candidates and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects this, with that in mind candidates requiring flexible working hours will be considered.