About the role
We are looking for Data Scientists to play a key role in the management of data across its full lifecycle, from the collection of data through to the point of data exploitation.
Working with the UKs best scientific and statistical capabilities, this is an opportunity to improve the health and care for the population of England.
Working alongside colleagues from other departments, such as Statisticians, you will ensure that data is handled in an efficient and secure way. You will apply skills across the following areas of Data Science:
- Gathering requirements from colleagues.
- Determining the most appropriate database architecture for a particular process
- Mapping out end-to-end processes.
- Writing code to develop automated processes and peer reviewing code developed by direct reports.
- Testing, and reviewing test plans created by colleagues across the organisation.
- Management of reference datasets.
- Understand and interpret results and suggest conclusions to be drawn. This could include activities such as predictive modelling via supervised or unsupervised machine learning.
Based in Leeds or London, you will have responsibility for managing a small team of staff who continually drive for maximum efficiency and automation in data processing. You will be supported by a Senior Data Manager and your specialism lead.
You will operate to standard service and project management techniques and help NHS Digital fulfil its regulatory requirements in such areas as data quality and data security.
We want to make sure that you are set for success, these are the skills and experience you will have:
- Educated to master’s degree level in a technical subject, such as Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science, and / or equivalent experience and specialist knowledge across a number of data science areas.
- Knowledge of Data Science application and approaches for analysing big data using SQL, R or Python.
- Knowledge of the application of statistical and algorithmic techniques such as Natural Language Processing, Pattern Recognition, or Artificial Intelligence
- Extensive experience in the collection, analysis, interpretation and prioritisation of customer requirements.
We are also recruiting for Assistant Data Managers and Data Managers, please click on the relevant link for more information.
What we offer
In addition to a competitive salary with planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- 27 days annual leave entitlement increasing with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a 20% contribution from us toward the cost of your pension)
- Flexible working opportunities
- A range of NHS Discounts covering, for example, shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones and insurance
- Season ticket loan
- Car Lease scheme
- High profile work providing professional development and ability to significantly impact on health and care services
We are the national information and technology partner to the health and care system. Our task is to build and run excellent digital products and services that NHS and care staff across the country can rely on every day.
NHS Digital is at a transformation stage in its development and requires insight professionals to harness the wealth of data that is available to it. The health and care system has one of the richest data stores across any industry and have already invested heavily in the infrastructure required to process, access and surface that data. What we now require are individuals that can harness the power of that data and convert it into insights and information that can make a real difference to the lives of people every day.
In the next few years the health industry will experience significant change, with the advent of wearables, continuous monitoring, connected devices, sensors as well as AI. This is an opportunity to be part of that evolution.
We are proud of what we have achieved and our amazing people, many of whom have deservedly received public recognition in forums ranging from Women in IT awards to our own Queen’s Honours List.
To view further information please see role profile.
The application process will involve an online assessment, technical test and interview.
Interviews are expected to take place week commencing 10th June 2019.
If you would like to discuss this role, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are unable to accept speculative CVs, all applications must be made through NHS Digital’s career site.
NHS Digital values and respects the diversity of its employees and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities.
Roles at NHS Digital are subject to a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service following an acceptance of an offer of employment. Basic checks provide details of convictions and conditional cautions that are considered to be unspent under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.