Do you love football? Do you understand the passion and pride of Newcastle United fans? Are you capable of individual brilliance but can also seamlessly fit into your manager’s formation?
If so, a great opportunity has arisen to develop the football coverage within JPIMedia on one of our exciting new launches: NewcastleWorld.com.
We are looking for an experienced journalist to help deliver high-quality football output for our fast-growing title that is at the centre of what is happening in and around St James’s Park.
You will be tasked with producing strong digital content, digging out exclusives, conducting big interviews, and writing features, analysis and commentary about one of the country’s biggest football teams.
We are looking for someone with at least 12 months experience in delivering great digital content and increasing audiences, a strong football journalism CV, and an increasing profile within the industry. Experience of video - in front and behind the camera - is an advantage.
Scope and purpose of the role
- To ensure newcastleworld.com and associated digital platforms are updated with engaging news, features, video and analysis
- To create, publish and share football content in support of digital audience targets
- To work within a tight team, ensuring we have all the big issues covered
- To understand audience data and analytics, and produce content responsively
- To help the company towards reaching all digital targets
Key duties and responsibilities
- Produce, create and publish football content on the websites
- Ensure round-the-clock football coverage, with a focus on developing a loyal Newcastle United audience
- Drive the football content agenda, making our digital platforms leaders in breaking news, information, data, interaction and fun
- Ensure a daily diet of informative football content is produced
- Develop relationships with fans, the football club and other organisations so that our brand is a turn-to destinations for content and engagement
- Ensure audience data drives content decisions and that audience targets are met
- Continually suggest innovative content ideas that engage, interest and inform football fans and meet the requirements of the digital audience
- Develop personal brand to become a trusted expert and public face
- Have strong and active social media presence
- Produce agenda-setting exclusives, opinion and commentary
- Assist in general uploading, digital content creation, optimisation and website management in line with established workflows
- Actively take part in digital conferences and planning meetings
- Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management
- Achieve pageview targets, author goals and team subscription goals
- Journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- At least 12 months experience as a digital football writer in a fast-paced news organisation
- First-class organisational skills
- An excellent understanding of football including having strong contacts and ability to generate leads
- Experience of and ability to use analytics to identify digital audience and content trends and commission content accordingly
- Adaptable and flexible
- Creativity and flair
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated, highly organised and able to take instruction as well as manage
own workload efficiently
- Experience writing high-quality football content for digital platforms
- Experience of providing analysis and commentary on other media outlets
- Strong digital skills and excellent communicator on social media
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to search for information
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
- Full driving licence
JPIMedia is committed to being an equal opportunity employer with a diverse workforce. We will consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. We encourage and consider flexible working arrangements for all roles.