The Eastbourne Herald is an award-winning digital and newspaper brand located in one of the sunniest seaside towns in Britain - on the beautiful Sussex coast and is part of the substantial series of JPIMedia titles across the country.
Now we are looking for a trainee reporter to further build on our unrivaled local reputation.
Do you have a passion for great content, quality journalism and the ability to spot a trending story?
Do you want to be part of the collaborative team of more than 30 Sussex journalists delivering quality, trusted local news around the clock to all our titles in the South?
You will have a willingness to learn, develop and embrace change in an exciting and fast-paced team.
Already living in a world of social media, you will have a grasp of SEO and a natural understanding of what makes great digital content - and you will always want to be first with the latest news for our titles in Sussex.
Who we are looking for:
- Successful candidates will have a keen eye for a story and an understanding of what drives audiences, along with a natural understanding of SEO
- Demonstrate the ability to follow analytics, identify content trends and come up with original content ideas
- Understand how to optimise content for search
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced media environment but have the organisational skills to plan ahead
- Be flexible, working shift patterns and on weekends
- Have a natural understanding of social media and how it can be best used to communicate with our readers
- Be capable of producing fast and accurate copy
- A team player: able to work closely with digital colleagues specialising in data, analytics, video production and social media
- Experience of working in a newsroom, agency or on a digital platform
- An understanding of how tone impacts brand values
- Previous experience of using a website content management system
- Understanding of SEO principles and best practice
- Familiarity with basic photo editing tools
- Good interview skills and a tenacity to find the right person to talk to
- A good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent experience
- Strong writer, storyteller and communicator
The closing date is12 noon on Monday August 3, 2020.